Monday, April 25, 2011

Avengers Begins Filming Today


According to a post Joss Whedon left on Whedonesque, today sees the start of filming for the epic Marvel movie, The Avengers:

"Hi Pumpkins, joss here.

Tomorrow we start shooting (I THINK I'm legally permitted to say that). Day one. That's right. We'll be shooting the pivotal death/betrayal/product placement/setting up the sequel/coming out scene, at the following address:

[Marvel Lawyers rush in, take Joss's keyboard, blowtorch a picture of his family like in "Stormy Monday", drink his milkshake, leave the seat up, fluff his pillows, violently unfluff his pillows, leave]

Went too far. My bad. Anyhoo, it should be a fun day, followed by the eighty thousand other fun days it will take to finish this. I'll be checking in from time to time, if there's news or I crave attention (i.e. am awake) . None of it will be Avengers news -- I have some very denty pillows to remind of that -- but I may have tidbits. (They're not about Firefly. I should say that up front, if only to protect Sis Mo from the HATORZ.)...

So wish me luck. DO IT! LUCK! NOW! I'm off to finish some Buffy pages, and then figure out what the movie is about already. I'm pretty sure it's about the Justice League [Marvel Lawyers re-enter, unspeakability occurs] or possibly something else. I'll get it. I've been looking forward to this. For about 46 years.

Catchphrase!

-j. "

Already looking forward to leaked pictures from the set, and it seems as if Joss will keep us fans informed on the process.



In other movie news, I recently learnt that a movie called  Immortals starring Henry Cavill as Theseus will be coming out in November of this year. Now, I get that Henry Cavill is beautiful and the mere idea of him in Grecian outfits and battle armor is enough to sell tickets, and that being cast as Superman puts him on the path to stardom, and I've even seen him in a slightly-cheesy horror movie (Blood Creek) where he came off as a solid actor...but the bastardization of Theseus' myth is more than enough to set me firmly against this movie.



Apparently the plot is about Theseus avenging his mother's death by going to war against the villainous Mickey Rourke, who seems to be rampaging across Greece. Other than being a brave warrior with the same name, this has absolutely zero relation to the actual myth, which is a shame since it is one of the greatest classical stories ever.Would it really be so hard to write a script that actually reflects their source material? Or, if they insist on doing an ancient Greece adventure epic, why not create something wholly original? Hollywood can be extremely irksome.

For a wonderful retelling of Theseus' life, check out one of the greatest authors to tackle ancient Greece through historical fiction, Mary Renault, and her books The King Must Die, and its follow-up The Bull From The Sea:



       
 

No comments:

Post a Comment